Cheery Tomato Community Garden
The Cheery Tomato Community Garden
This garden is located on League grounds alongside the hockey rink and across the street from the Bonnie Doon Leisure Centre & Tennis Courts. With a small playground close by for young children, it is a nice relaxing spot to garden, visit with passers-by and enjoy the outdoors.
(Phase 1) was constructed in May 2012, with 5 more beds added in September 2016, which nearly doubled the growing space.
In 2015, the decision was made to 'grow as a group'. This means garden beds are planted, maintained and harvested as a group, rather than having individual spots. The result has allowed for an all-around success and the watering work (via on-site hose) is evenly shared.
If you are interested in joining the garden group, please contact us - we aim to include all levels of gardening ability and agility.
- Location of Garden: 8631 - 81 St.
- Number of Plots: 12
- Plot Sizes: 4'x 8' L-shaped beds
- Participant criteria: Must be a Community League member
- Gardening Style: Raised bed
- Fertilizer / Pesticide use: Organic gardening only
- Fees: League membership needed
For more information about the garden: